The Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society was created in 1908 to preserve and interpret the history of Northwestern Ontario through lectures, publications, the erection of monuments and plaques, and the preservation of documents. By 1942, enough documents and artifacts had been collected to warrant the opening of a museum in the basement of the local library and, in 1972, the Society moved to new quarters in a former registry office. Short of space for its growing operations, the Society undertook a major campaign in the mid-1990s to acquire and renovate a former police station and courthouse, which today is the home of the Thunder Bay Historical Museum Society. Our major exhibit gallery opened in 1997. The Museum is located at 425 Donald Street East, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.