The R.E. Olds Museum, Lansing, Michigan, was incorporated in 1977 on the incentive of a study task force of the Greater Lansing Chamber of Commerce. After site selection and renovation, the Museum opened to the public on May 18, 1981 at its present location.
The Museum is a nonprofit, educational organization governed by a Board of Trustees.
It is dedicated to Ransom Eli Olds, inventor, entrepreneur, and financier, and one of Lansing’s most notable automotive leaders. He created the principle of the assembly line in the automobile industry and founded two local automobile companies: Olds Motor Works (1897) and REO Motor Car Company (1904).
The Museum has thousands of irreplaceable items in the archives along with 63 vehicles that range from 1886 through 2003.