Zem Zem Shrine, Erie, Pennsylvania, was granted a dispensation December 22, 1892, chartered August 16, 1892, the third Shrine Temple in Pennsylvania. Syria Temple in Pittsburgh in 1877, Lu Lu Temple in Philadelphia in 1884, preceded Zem Zem to the Shrine. Rajah Temple in Reading in 1893, Irem Temple in Wilkes-Barre in 1895, Jaffa Temple in Altoona in 1903 and Zembo Temple in Harrisburg in 1904 comprise the seven Temples in Pennsylvania.
For many years our Temple held ceremonials first in Gable Hall in downtown Erie, and at such places as the Maennerchor, Elks auditorium, Masonic Temple Colonial, Shea’s Columbia Theater and a public auditorium.
In the early 1900’s, the temple purchased a home at 124 East 8th Street and it was the Temple’s location until February 12, 1980, when fire destroyed the building. Zem Zem Shrine continued at the address until it moved to the present location at 2525 West 38th Street.