St. Anthony of Padua Parish : On Christmas Day in 1858, the first Mass was celebrated in the newly created St. Anthony of Padua Church in Effingham, IL. Prior to that date, Catholics in the Effingham area attended Mass in Teutopolis or Green Creek, or in a small log cabin in Broughton which served as a school during the week. St. Anthony was a mission parish, served by priests from the neighboring villages until 1871. In the beginning, St. Anthony Parish consisted of 40 families.
St. Anthony of Padua church is located on the corner of Third Street and Virginia Avenue in Effingham, IL. With over 1,300 parish families, a parish grade schol, and a parish high school, St. Anthony of Padua has been an integral part of Effingham and the surrounding area for more than 150 years.