Saint Bernard Catholic Church started in 1849 when Father Joseph Kundeck of Jasper, IN visited Rockport and found four Catholic families. By 1850, Catholic families numbered 12 and a plot of ground on 6th and Elm Streets was donated by General Williamson. On June 6, 1850, the laying of a corner stone marked the start of the first small brick church facing 6th Street. A corner stone for a new brick church was laid on May 18, 1875 and was dedicated on June 25, 1876. Disaster struck the parish on News Year’s morning in 1917, when a destructive fire consumed the interior of the church. A new building which would house a kitchen, gym-auditorium, and two classrooms was ready for occupancy by 105 students and three teachers in the fall of 1949. In the fall of 1961, under the direction of Father Michael O.J.Wolf, a new eight-classroom addition welcomed 202 students with five teachers.Since that time the parish has continued a gradual growth in size and members, while growing greatly in grace and wisdom under the guidance of God’s Holy Spirit.